Foreign Order of Protection

Request a Case Evaluation

  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Foreign Order of Protection

Keeping You Safe in Missouri

When you have an Order of Protection and move from state to state, there are certain steps you should take to ensure your Order applies in those states.

When a person with an Order moves to Missouri, they should notify the Court so that the State of Missouri will recognize the Order of Protection.  This is called a Foreign Order of Protection. The word ‘foreign’ applies to an Order that was put in place by a Court in a different state, or a state that is ‘foreign’ to Missouri.

When you move, you do not need to worry about whether or not your Order of Protection will be enforced. Foreign orders are enforced fully in Missouri as if they had been issued by one of our Courts.  It is not required that the Court be notified for the Order to be enforceable, but the Court will not know it exists if you do not.

To notify the Court, you need to submit an Affidavit of foreign Order of Protection. By submitting an Affidavit of Foreign Order of Protection, you are notifying the Court system to enter you into the police database (MULES), making law enforcement officials aware of your Order.

Our St. Louis domestic violence attorney understands that just because you have moved to Missouri, does not mean that the fear of harassment and abuse has completely disappeared.

If you are concerned that the person you have an Order of Protection against will follow you to Missouri, it is in your best interest to make sure our Court system is aware of your situation.

Did you receive a protective order in another state?

Count on St. Louis Foreign Order of Protection attorney Steve Bardol to make your Order enforceable in Missouri.