- Bar Admissions & Education
- Honors & Memberships
I met with my first client on the couch of my old apartment. The apartment was cheap and gross. I was just out of law school. I graduated from law school during one of the worst legal markets in history. Jobs were scarce and the ones that were available were not very good and did not allow me to get into the courtroom.
I always wanted to represent people with real problems, not review paperwork for businesses trying to add to the bottom line. I decided to start my own firm…in my gross apartment.
That client I met with ended up retaining me as his attorney. He had a custody case and wanted to fight for the right to be involved in his son’s life. He didn’t have much money, but I didn’t have much experience. It seemed like a fair deal.
What I did have were motivation and fearlessness. I worked my butt off trying to figure out what I was doing. I worked late every night. I woke up early every morning. I researched the case law. I developed mentors. I called law school friends to ask questions. I attended continuing education conferences.
It was hard. Hard is actually an understatement. Starting a firm from scratch is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Many attorneys that take that road don’t last a year in business.
I signed more clients. I made a name for myself. I started trying a lot of cases. You don’t become a good trial attorney sitting on the sidelines watching others practice law. I became very good through “trial and error.” Pun intended. I picked up an award or two. My practice has been built one brick at a time. I don’t tolerate mistakes. I research my cases. I return my clients’ phone calls. I work really hard.
Oh, and that first case I retained….it turned into a three-day trial. And we won. My client now has joint custody of his son.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association
- St. Louis County Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Webster Groves Chamber of Commerce
- 2014 Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up and Coming Lawyers Award
- 2014 National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- 2014 National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Top 10 Under 40
- 2015 Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- 2016 Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- 2017 Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- 2018 Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- 2019 Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- 2019 Best Lawyers in America – St. Louis’ Best Lawyers for Family Law
- 2020 Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- 2020 Best Lawyers in America – St. Louis’ Best Lawyers for Family Law
- 2021 Super Lawyers – Super Lawyer
- 2021 Best Lawyers in America – St. Louis’ Best Lawyers for Family Law
- 2022 Best Lawyers in America – St. Louis’ Best Lawyers for Family Law
- 2022 Best Lawyers in America – St. Louis’ Best Law Firms for Family Law